Monday, May 29, 2006

Neichor & Toddy shop style Mutton Vattichathu...

  




















I had planned for a biriyani for the week end, but changed the mind, because the last couple of weeks our menu had been quite spicy and fatty.Of late, both of us look at each other and at the mirror, with a sad expression on the face,seeing our body burgeoning out of our frames!!... and then consoling with a strong resolution to join a near by gym(one more in the list of broken resolutions)...&I decide to start preparing some 'healthy' food..... but desire for anything never ends so easily...and at last I came down to a 'compromise'....voted for Nei chor(Ghee rice) and Mutton Vattichathu!!(We are two food gluttons who will never change ways!!).

Week ends...I dont like to spend much time in the Kitchen, so my cooking is less ceremonial {tis quick,but no compromise on taste;)}So my Nei chor is a Microwave Nei chor...& Mutton Chaar is more in the 'Kallu shaap syle'. I had heard many of my friends describing the taste ofseveral 'Kallushaap' delicacies like Karimeen Curry,pork Fry,Koonthalfry, Karimeen Fry,Kada Fry,Njandu Fry,Pothu Erachi Fry, Kakka Erachi curry,Pothu Erachi Curry ,Tharavu Chaps,Puttu& Tharavu Mappas,Kozhi Erachi&Appam.Tharavu Fry ,Pork Chapse Chemmeen fry,Kappa,Liver fry,Mutton Vattichathu etc...etc...I have drooled over all these but could not really get access to the menu! I badly wanted to make Kallu shaap Mutton Vattichathu(Toddy shop Mutton curry)...but no easy source...for I unfortunately never had the habbit, nor did my father, nor my brother, nor my husband(poor souls!)!!...At last I got it from one of my 'faithful' friends...I had tried it once back home and was a thumping success...so today was my turn to impress my man!!

Nei chor

Ingredients

(Serves-2)

Basmati rice-1 1/2 cup
Water-1 1/2 cup
Ghee-2+1 table spoon
Lemon juice-1tbsp
Salt-as required
Dried onions-50g
Raisins-25g(optional)

Garam Masala
Star Ani seed-4
Cloves-4
Bay leaves-4
Cinnamon stick-1 (i inch, broken)
Cardamom -4pods

Method

Clean the Basmati rice and soak it in 1 1/2 cups water for 10 minutes(I take equal quantity water for microwave cooking, for normal cooking we need double the quantity water).Now add the Ani seed,Cinnamon stick,cloves, cardamom & Bay leaves(You may pound it slightly for a strong flavour, and also can add fennel seeds powder& Nut meg powder).Add 2 tbspoon Ghee,1 tbsp lemon juice and salt.Mix well and cook it at high for 17 minutes.(With trial and error I have come to this timing).Grains should not stick..(There could be slight changes depending on the technical specifications of u'r gadget...so it is better to check the rice in between). Now in a small wok heat 1 tbsp Ghee.Add dried onions and raisins and saute it till brown.Pour the seasoning over the rice and mix well. Serve it with mutton chaar &Onion Raita.

Mutton Vattichathu-Recipe

Mutton-250g
Ginger+Garlic-50g-pounded
Green Chilli-4-pounded
Red Chilli powder-1+1 tsp
Turmeric Powder-1 tsp
Corriander powder-2tbsp
Fenugreek seed -1tsp
Garam Masala-1tsp
Onion-1 large-Chopped fine
Tomato-2 large-chopped
Potato-1 large-Cut into pieces
Lemon juice/Vinegar-1 tbsp
Curry leaves-2 sprigs
Salt+Water+Oil-As required

Method

Marinate the cleaned Mutton with Red chilli powder,turmeric powder, salt & Lemon juice(or Vinegar) and keep it aside for 15 minutes. Now heat oil in a wok.Add curry leaves & fenugreek seeds. Once it has spluttered add Ginger,Garlic&Green chillies.Saute it till you get that fine aroma of garlic. Now add Onion. Saute it till it becomes brown. Add tomatoes. Saute it till it becomes pulpy and is cooked very well. Now add the remaining chillipowder, turmeric powder, corriander powder and garam masala. Saute it for a couple of minutes. Meanwhile cook the marinated mutton partially along with potato.Dont add water.(I microwaved it at high for 10minutes).Now add the cooked Mutton& Potato along with the juices running out of it to the Masala gravy.Add sufficient water and salt.Now Cook it closed, till the whole masala covers the mutton pieces completely and reduces in quantity.Stir it occasionally to avoid sticking to the vessel. Serve it hot with the Ghee rice or along with Chappathi/Naans/Porotta.(The curry is quite hot, so one could personalise it according to the preferences)
Oru kuppi kallayalo?!! some interesting toddy links!!

  • Kallushaap







  • 8 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    Looks absolutely yummy!! Will wait for the recipes..:)

    indianadoc said...

    Thanx Sailugaru...Week end lo koncham busy aayipoyanu...so cdnt post the recipes immediately...

    Sumitha said...

    Hmmmm....yummy yummy yummy!I make mutton in the same way,but never knew it is done in the same way in the kallu shop!I have also heard a lot about the food that we get in kallu shops,it seems it is extremely tasty.Nowadays we even have Drive in kallu shops!
    Wonderful wonderful recipe,I have to make this!

    indianadoc said...

    Yes Sumi...I think probably it could be the toddy that adds that extra divinity to the recipe!!...Even I felt the same, that the recipe wasnt much different from what we make at home, except for that it is perhaps more hot to match the toddy!!

    Kitchenmate said...

    I definitley bet the combo was deadly;)

    Anonymous said...

    ooooo!! looks yummy! I really wish I could have some.

    Thinking about dieting and then making neychoru and mutton curry!hehehehe!! hilarious. I couldnt stop giggling for that.


    Could you post each picture seprately and also the size of each as the maximum? I want to really really see them close.

    indianadoc said...

    Sorry lg...I have this habbit of deleting my snaps once they have been used in the blog so that my hard drive is not choked with so many snaps...I can rather cook for you a ghee rice and mutton curry...willing to fly to UK?!!...My dieting resolution is also equally sad..:(Yesterday we had been to a gym here to enquire...on the way back we were discussing...what a sad thing, we spend money to eat food...and we need to spend money again to shed it off!!

    Ash said...

    amazing recipes.........waiting for more........ :d