Sunday, May 28, 2006

My experiments with Pasta....

 




















Truth...it all started as an experiment...just my gut feelings and the memories of some food(I dont remember those exotic names now!)that I tasted in one of the Italian restaurants here...Recent visits to these Italian restaurants have really made me an ardent lover of Italian food. I had bought a packet of Italian polenta(corn meal) and the pasta from the super market a couple of months back but was never sure.....Now,as usual, I wanted to Indianise it a little bit for that spicy touch...But I should say that the experiment was a real success...it was quite yummy...almost mimicked that restaurant taste, just a little spicy...that's it..

Ingredients

Serves-2

Pasta(Macaroni)-1cup(200ml)
Polenta(thin corn meal)-1/2 cup
Water-3 cups
Chopped Tomatoes-1 can
Garlic-7 pods
Onion-1 small(chopped thin)
Dry mushroom-50 g
Thyme-1 sprig(I used it very sparingly for I was not sure of its taste)
Red chilli powder-1/2 tsp
Red Chilli sauce-1tbsp
Soya Sauce-1 tsp
Mayonnaise-5tbsp
Olive Oil-1 tbsp
Cheddar Cheese-50g(grated)
Salt-as required.

Method

Cook Pasta(I cooked it in the microwave for 20mts with 3times water and salt) and keep it aside. Now Heat Olive oil in a wok.Add Thyme,Onion, and garlic and saute it till you get that nice aroma...Now add the tomato,dry mushroom,red chilli powder,the sauces,Mayonnaise and Polenta with sufficient water and cook for 5 minutes till tomato has become pulpy and well cooked. Now add the cooked Pasta and the Cheddar and cook it for another 3 minutes.Now remove it from fire and pour it out into a baking dish and bake it for 15 minutes and allow it to stand for 10minutes. Serve hot with some tomato sauce and chips.(I should say here that my way of eating it could be very un-Italian!!)But we liked it...




No comments: